2020 Kia Telluride Named MotorTrend's SUV of the Year
November 18, 2019
Kia’s Big and Bold Utility Vehicle Edges Out the Competition for Prestigious Award
- Telluride’s sophisticated styling, unmatched levels of standard equipment and smooth ride and handling contributed to first ever win for the Kia brand
- Award recognizes vehicles that best represent safety, efficiency, value, advancement in design, engineering excellence and performance of intended function
IRVINE, Calif., November 18, 2019 – Kia Motors America’s (KMA) largest vehicle ever – the Telluride – has been awarded 2020 SUV of the Year by MotorTrend. With its comfortable and functional interior, the Telluride stood out as a well-rounded product that meets the needs of today’s modern family, while its terrific value solidified it as a winner in the SUV segment.
“The Telluride has been an undeniable success since its launch earlier this year, with an impressive number of consumers rediscovering Kia in the highly competitive SUV segment and more than 45,000 units sold to-date,” said Michael Cole, president, Kia Motors America. “Earning MotorTrend’s coveted SUV of the Year award is an honor and a historic moment for the brand, serving to further reinforce Kia’s transformation to a world-class automaker.”
Designed in California and assembled in Georgia, the 2020 Telluride’s bold and boxy shape and sophisticated exterior accents convey a spirit of adventure and possibility. That sentiment is strengthened by its engineering, delivering an enjoyable and confidence-inspiring driving experience. The mid-size SUV offers impressive interior luxury and an upscale cabin, complemented by an array of advanced technology and safety systems¹ featuring standard Blind Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist Rear, Lane Following Assist, Rear Occupant Alert, Safe Exit Assist, Forward Collision Assist and available Highway Drive Assist, Driver Talk, multi-Bluetooth Connectivity and more.
“This year’s MotorTrend SUV of the Year competition was one of the most competitive we’ve ever had, which makes Kia Telluride’s win all the more significant,” said MotorTrend Editor-in-Chief Edward Loh. “Telluride absolutely nails our awards criteria – it’s gorgeous, spacious, technology-laden, and offers a great ride for an astonishingly fair price. Congratulations to Kia and the Telluride team.”
With a more than 20-year history, the MotorTrend SUV of the Year award is one of the most sought-after honors by global automotive manufacturers. SUV of the Year judges are comprised of MotorTrend staff as well as two guest judges, Johan de Nysschen, former head of Audi of America, Infiniti Motor Co., and Cadillac division and Tom Gale, former head of Chrysler design. Vehicles are evaluated against six key criteria: safety, efficiency, value, advancement in design, engineering excellence and performance of intended function to determine the finalists and ultimately, the winners.
About Kia Motors America
Headquartered in Irvine, California, Kia Motors America continues to top quality surveys and is recognized as one of the 100 Best Global Brands and 50 Best Global Green Brands by Interbrand. Kia serves as the "Official Automotive Partner" of the NBA and offers a complete range of vehicles sold through a network of nearly 800 dealers in the U.S., including cars and SUVs proudly assembled in West Point, Georgia.*
For media information, including photography, visit www.kiamedia.com. To receive custom email notifications for press releases the moment they are published, subscribe at www.kiamedia.com/us/en/newsalert.
*The Telluride, Sorento and Optima (excluding Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid) are assembled in the United States from U.S. and globally sourced parts.
** Kia received the lowest rate of reported problems among mass market brands in the J.D. Power 2015-19 U.S. Initial Quality Studies of new vehicle owners’ experiences with their own vehicle after 90 days of ownership. Visit jdpower.com/awards for more details.
¹These features are not substitutes for safe driving, and may not detect all objects surrounding vehicle. Always drive safely and use caution.
Kia makes reasonable efforts to ensure that information contained in its press releases is accurate at the time of posting. However, Kia makes no guarantees or warranties, either expressed or implied, with respect to the accuracy of the content presented. Kia may, from time to time, update its press releases, issue new releases, or publish other information to reflect new information.
Recent Blog Posts
- Kia Telluride Wins 2020 North American Utility Vehicle of the Year
- 2020 Kia Telluride Named Motortrend's SUV of the Year
- Kia soul named segment winner in J.D. Power 2019 multimedia quality and satisfaction study
- Kia has the most vehicles with top safety pick and top safety pick plus ratings from insurance institute for highway safety
- Kia motors ranked highest mass market brand for fifth consecutive year in J.D. Power U.S. initial quality study
- 2019 Kia stinger named a top safety pick plus by insurance institute for highway safety
- Kia Motors America teams up with SiriusXM to provide the ultimate EDM music festival experience
- Kia stinger receives first-ever j.D. Power engineering award for highest rated all-new vehicle
- All-new 2020 kia telluride offers rugged luxury
- Imagine by kia: a new all-electric concept car revealed
- 2020 Soul Overview
- Kia is among top three brands with most 2019 iihs safety awards following stricter crash standards
- For the third consecutive year, the Kia Soul and Sorento were named segment winners by U.S. News & World Report
- 2019 Forte named best small car by Motorweek