Kia stinger receives first-ever j.D. Power engineering award for highest rated all-new vehicle
April 18, 2019
Award Focused on Excellence in Automotive Engineering Bestowed on the Highest Performing Vehicle in Kia’s History
IRVINE, Calif., April 15, 2019 -- After ushering in a dynamic new era for Kia Motors, the 2018 Stinger sportback has been awarded the first-ever J.D. Power Engineering Award for Highest-Rated All-New Vehicle. Based on combined consumer evaluations included in the J.D. Power Initial Quality SM and APEALSM Studies, Kia is the first OEM to be recognized by J.D. Power for delivering the highest-rated new entry into the market for a model year.
“The Stinger is the result of years of hard work and dedication from the industry’s top designers and engineers. We turned what was once considered a dream car into a startling and enthralling new reality,” said Michael Cole, chief operating officer & EVP, Kia Motors America. “Being the first auto manufacturer to receive this prestigious award from J.D. Power, an organization known for excellence in research, is a true testament to Kia’s ‘Give It Everything’ philosophy.”
The J.D. Power Engineering Award for Highest-Rated All-New Vehicle combines the results of two well-known J.D. Power studies, the Initial Quality Study (IQS) which measures new-vehicle quality by the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) as reported by consumers during the first 90 days of ownership; and the J.D. Power Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) award, which measures new-vehicle owners’ overall satisfaction with their vehicles within the first 90 days of ownership. Categories evaluated include exterior, interior, storage, audio, seats, heating and ventilation, driving dynamics, powertrain, visibility, and fuel economy.
“This is the first time J.D. Power has analyzed customer data in order to identify a remarkable achievement by a vehicle development team,” said Doug Betts, senior vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power. “This is feedback on both the quality and the performance of the vehicle taken straight from the owners of the vehicle. What we are seeing is a team of designers, R&D engineers and a manufacturing team that are working very effectively together to launch something quite exceptional.”
About Kia Motors America
Headquartered in Irvine, California, Kia Motors America continues to top quality surveys and is recognized as one of the 100 Best Global Brands and 50 Best Global Green Brands by Interbrand. Kia serves as the "Official Automotive Partner" of the NBA and offers a complete range of vehicles sold through a network of nearly 800 dealers in the U.S., including cars and SUVs proudly assembled in West Point, Georgia.*
For media information, including photography, visit www.kiamedia.com. To receive custom email notifications for press releases the moment they are published, subscribe at www.kiamedia.com/us/en/newsalert.
*The Telluride, Sorento and Optima (excluding Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid) are assembled in the United States from U.S. and globally sourced parts.
Kia makes reasonable efforts to ensure that information contained in its press releases is accurate at the time of posting. However, Kia makes no guarantees or warranties, either expressed or implied, with respect to the accuracy of the content presented. Kia may, from time to time, update its press releases, issue new releases, or publish other information to reflect new information.
Recent Blog Posts
- Kia Telluride Wins 2020 North American Utility Vehicle of the Year
- 2020 Kia Telluride Named Motortrend's SUV of the Year
- Kia soul named segment winner in J.D. Power 2019 multimedia quality and satisfaction study
- Kia has the most vehicles with top safety pick and top safety pick plus ratings from insurance institute for highway safety
- Kia motors ranked highest mass market brand for fifth consecutive year in J.D. Power U.S. initial quality study
- 2019 Kia stinger named a top safety pick plus by insurance institute for highway safety
- Kia Motors America teams up with SiriusXM to provide the ultimate EDM music festival experience
- Kia stinger receives first-ever j.D. Power engineering award for highest rated all-new vehicle
- All-new 2020 kia telluride offers rugged luxury
- Imagine by kia: a new all-electric concept car revealed
- 2020 Soul Overview
- Kia is among top three brands with most 2019 iihs safety awards following stricter crash standards
- For the third consecutive year, the Kia Soul and Sorento were named segment winners by U.S. News & World Report
- 2019 Forte named best small car by Motorweek